Register

porting "prizm eigenmath" to the fx9860gII

Discuss anything related to calculators. For specific help on certain games/programs check the Released Projects subforum.
Calculators: Casio fx-9860GII

porting "prizm eigenmath" to the fx9860gII

Postby scientifix » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:47 am

Hello everyone,
As you probably know gbl08ma ported EIGENMATH to the Casio prizm. The add in is perfectly working and some function were added to it.
Diameter from Cncalc. org also ported a version of EIGENMATH but not on the prizm, he ported it to the fx9860gII. BUT this version of EIGENMATH ported by Diameter has a lot of bugs and gives wrong answers.
So I decided that we should port the "prizm eigenmath" to the fx9860gII. But I don't know the C language so I can't port it my self. When I started the topic "Is it possible to port a prizm add in to the fx9860gII" some peoples told me that YES it was possible and that they could have a look on the source code to port the "prizm eigenmath" to the fx9860gII.
The SOURCE CODE is now available in the "Eigenmath for the Prizm" topic :
https://github.com/gbl08ma/eigenmath/archive/master.zip

Can some one port the "Prizm EIGENMATH" to the fx9860gII so that we will all have a VERY powerful CAS add in on it ?

Thanks a lot, I realy hope that someone will port it, it will be great !!

scientifix

PS: gbl08ma, you did a great job !!!

Calculators: Casio Afx 1.0, Casio fx-9860GII SD, Casio Classpad 330, Casio fx-CG20, Casio Classpad fx-CP400

Re: porting "prizm eigenmath" to the fx9860gII

Postby helder7 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:58 pm

Porting/fixing Eigenmath for fx9860 is not an easy thing to do because will be necessary set up a full working GCC environment for fx9860g, in order to use big numbers (feature that official sdk aparently does not support).
I installed a few days ago gnush gcc in my pc, with a converted lib from official sdk, but not everything is working properly, for exemple stdio.h doesnt work and i dont know how to fix it.

Even if someone manage to do a bug free port of eigenmath to the fx9860g, it will be more limited than prizm version because:
-as gbl08ma said, fx9860 has half amount of prizm heap, so will be more limited with big calculations.
-if it continue use the same font as diameter port, the space to display results is small comparated with prizm. Add scroll will use more memory...

I do not really need to have a eigenmath port for fx9860g because I have a ClassPad and a prizm... anyway I can try to take a look...however with studies and other stuff I not have much free time...

As a side note, is not by you create some posts asking for others port/fix the program for you that this will be done faster. This takes time.
If you really want use the gbl08ma eigenmath port for prizm, I suggest you buy a prizm. Sometimes there are used calculators cheap and in good conditions in sites like OLX or eBay, if you do not want to buy a new. I bought some time ago a casio AFX (with cas) used in one of these sites for a cheap price and in good conditions. Sometimes may be necessary wait some time and visit these sites daily to find a "hot deal".

If you want to move forward with the eigenmath for fx9860g I suggest you ask for more specific help related with code.
If someone with Linux could try to setup gcc for fx9860g, convert the .lib to it and after report if stdio.h is working or no, would help.
SiO2 + CaCO3 ----------> CaSiO3 + CO2

Calculators: Casio fx-CG20

Postby gbl08ma » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:55 pm

Note that I do not use gnush (from KPIT) to compile my add-ins for the Prizm. I cross-compiled GCC myself to have x86-64 as the host and SH as the target. I don't know how well my add-ins compile with other GCC versions - I know I had some trouble when I switched to a new PC and had to recompile GCC again... I used a newer version and parts of my dirty code had to be rewritten (fortunately, now the code of both Utilities and Eigenmath is cleaner)...

As for the display on the fx9860, I think it has a PrintMini font too, but it doesn't support as many glyphs as the Prizm mini font, I think.

Getting a Prizm would definitely be the best option I think... in the future, development of new add-ins will inevitably happen for it instead of for the fx9860G, because even though there's no official SDK, there's more memory available, newer graphic possibilities (color, high resolution) and more storage (if we don't take into account the SD models). Nowadays, most of the people I know who are buying a new Casio calc, buy a Prizm instead of a fx9860G (unless the teacher "recommends" buying the 9860 because he/she thinks the Prizm is forbidden), unless they really really want the SD card functionality. I believe the price is nearly the same in most stores, anyway.

Postby scientifix » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:22 pm

Hello,
I realy appreciate the fact that you are going to try to port "gbl08ma's eigenmath" to the prizm !
As you said in your post I should buy a prizm but I have very important maths exams every two weeks and I don't have the time to learn how the prizm is working for now :( .
If you manage to port this version of eigenmath to the fx9860gII it would be a big help for all the persons that have a fx9860gII, not only for me, it would be a great help for all of us !!!
I hope you will succed in porting it to the fx9860gII
Thank you very much
scientifix

Calculators: Casio fx-CG20

Postby gbl08ma » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:27 pm

You would take more than two weeks to learn how Eigenmath works, too. The way of inputting expressions follows rules different from the Casio system. And Eigenmath is not a magical problem solver - it even lacks a simple equation solver.
Not to mention the fact that porting it would take probably more than two weeks.

Postby scientifix » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:48 pm

Hey,
Learning how eigenmath works is not a problem compared to learn how a complete calculator works and I have some ideas of how it works.
If it takes 4 month or more to port it to the fx9860gII it's not a problem, I will do without for this laps of time. It would be a great help for all the people that have a fx9860gII if it works !!!
Thanks for your help and for replying very fast !
scientifix

:thumbup:

Postby scientifix » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:21 pm

:wave:

Postby scientifix » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:18 pm

Hey,
Is the porting of EIGENMATH from the prizm to the fx9860gII OK ?
Do you have problems to port it ? If yes can I do something to help ?
Thanks a lot
scientifix

Calculators: Casio Afx 1.0, Casio fx-9860GII SD, Casio Classpad 330, Casio fx-CG20, Casio Classpad fx-CP400

Postby helder7 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:29 pm

Very little progress was made in recent days by me. The problem with stdio.h is not fixed...
I just tested that long numbers are working well in gcc.

screenshot: Show

scientifix wrote:As you said in your post I should buy a prizm but I have very important maths exams every two weeks and I don't have the time to learn how the prizm is working for now :( .

For fx9860g users, learn how the prizm work is easy. Yes, really easy. In 3-5 days is possible to become a "prizm ninja", regarding the use of this calculator in classroom. Basically, Prizm is a fx9860g with color screen! The keyboard, OS's of both, etc ... are quite similar.

Check the images in spoiler below (and you will understand):

fx9860 - prizm: Show
Menus
Image Image
Both have a similar icon menu.

Run Matrix
Image Image
Really similar, nop?

Graph Menu
Image Image
Practically equal, except that prizm is in color!
SiO2 + CaCO3 ----------> CaSiO3 + CO2

Postby scientifix » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:34 pm

Hey,
Good job :clap: !!! I hope you will be able to port the complete EIGENMATH from the prizm to the fx9860gII !! :thumbup:
As you said I should buy a prizm but I asked my MATH theacher and we CAN'T have a colored screen calculator for the math exams (if we could I would have bought one !).
Thank you again for porting EIGENMATH to the fx9860gII !!
It will be great for all of us !
Thanks a lot, and good job again !
scientifix

:wave:

PS: what is in the "stdio.h" file and what is the problem with it ?

Next

Return to General