Register

Variance problem for fx CG 20

Discuss anything related to calculators. For specific help on certain games/programs check the Released Projects subforum.
Calculators: Casio fx-CG20

Variance problem for fx CG 20

Postby GMart » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:43 am

I am currently using the fx CG 20 to teach IB Math to a class of 17 year olds - I used a table to create a binomial probability distribution, and then used LIST MEM to export the data to the statistics part of the calculator. I then went to Run Matrix to calculate the variance and standard distribution. I put variance(list 1,list 2) but on pressing execute i got a big ERROR message.

Finding the variance of probability distributions is a key part of the course so:

:?: What am I doing wrong?

My method should be fine, and when i find the variance of normal lists (ie not prob dists) then it is fine...

Calculators: Casio Afx 1.0, Casio fx-9860GII SD, Casio Classpad 330, Casio fx-CG20, Casio Classpad fx-CP400

Re: Variance problem for fx CG 20

Postby helder7 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:15 pm

Welcome to the forum.

What error message you got, is a "Syntax ERROR"? If yes, is easy to fix. You can not write/type "List" using alphabetic keys, you must insert "List " pressing [shift]+[1]. The same applies to commands, that should be inserted from catalog or F1-F6 keys.
SiO2 + CaCO3 ----------> CaSiO3 + CO2

Calculators: Casio Cfx Series, Casio fx-CG10

Re: Variance problem for fx CG 20

Postby nsg » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:08 pm

Could be may things.

First of all, Variance( function should be entered from the menu, not typed character by character in alpha mode.
Assuming that is the case, then error may be caused by the lists themselves.

Their size may be mismatching, or there may be complex numbers in them, or frequency list contains invalid values. Or some other things.
If you could post a specific simplified example that reproduces your error, that would help to narrow down possibilities.

Return to General