Register

Casio fx-9860GIIs difference?

Discuss anything related to calculators. For specific help on certain games/programs check the Released Projects subforum.
Calculators: Casio fx-9860GII, Casio fx-CG10

Casio fx-9860GIIs difference?

Postby CasMo » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:56 am

I just got this Casio fx-9860GIIs (note that there is a "s" in the model number). Anyway I can't find nothing much about this model with an "s". :?: It did come with the OS 2.03 and I updated it to 2.04. I do have the Prizm FX-CG10 and I thought I get the FX-9860GIIs to go with it, as it should be almost the same than the other one. Almost... :shifty: What happened to the unit conversion on the GIIs model? On the Prizm, in the Run Matrix go: options, F6 then F1 (convert). On the FX-9860GIIs, where the convert should be in options, F6 then F1, there is nothing? Cording to the users manual the FX-9860GII (without the "s") and all other models should have the unit conversion. Am I missing something?
What is the difference between the FX-9860GIIs and the FX-9860GII? I wonder if someone has the unit conversion file, so I can load it up?
If I delete the convert file out of the Prizm, I get the same result what I have on the GIIs (empty F1). However copying the convert file from the Prizm to the FX-9860GIIs didn't work. I guess there is a difference between .g1a and the .g3a. :crazy:

Calculators: None

Re: Casio fx-9860GIIs difference?

Postby TeamFX » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:10 pm

The 's' model is lacking the unit conversion menu and also some math output functionality like results as multiples of pi or sqrt(2). There is no way to enable the conversion menu.

This model was introduced to comply with the Singapore A level and to replace the fx-9860G Slim which was the only approved calculator. This is why OS 2.00 for the fx-9860G Slim was withdrawn in early 2009: Because it added the unit conversion menu.

Postby CasMo » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:22 am

Now this is confusing... Why would Casio sell 2 models (one with the s and then one with out) in Canada? Actually the "s" model is being currently sold cheaper than the non "s" model in 2 box stores.
You are correct multiple of pi (2pi) or sqrt(2 or 8) results in numbers, not like math output in the Run Matrix. As far as I have gotten with it, I found an old unit conversion file dating back to 2007 and loaded that. I also was able to load a jeuxcasio CAS program, so 2pi or sqrt(2) isn't a problem anymore.
I wonder how the OS can tell it is a (s) version or not (there was not a special OS for the "s" model to download. There must be something added on the hardware, like a jumper, resistor or a diode. I wouldn't think they make a major change on the board (like an IC), just because of that requirement. :crazy:

Postby CasMo » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:42 pm

here is a little update. Having no other choice than opening the unit up and comparing the main board with a Graph 75, my main board is different. The main IC is different, the memory is on a different location, there board number is different and the revision was different too. So I guess that CASIO did go through that trouble and did change everything for the "s" model. I guess that's where things stop. :problem:

Postby TeamFX » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:45 pm

Why would Casio sell 2 models (one with the s and then one with out) in Canada?

I don't know. Maybe there are schools in Canada and the US that require the 's' model.

I wonder how the OS can tell it is a (s) version or not (there was not a special OS for the "s" model to download.

There are some type identification bytes stored in the boot code area not overwritten during the OS update. Also, the OS 2.04 setup file contains eleven compressed OS images for different calculators.

Most of these images only differ in a few bytes indicating the calculator model the OS has been compiled for.
If we ignore this, there are three distinct images left:
- an fx-9860GII OS for the SH-3 platform
- an fx-9860GII OS for the SH-4A platform
- an fx-9860GIIs OS for the SH-4A platform (there is no SH-3 hardware)

In fact, the OS 2.03 installed on your calculator has been an OS version compiled specifically for the fx-9860GIIs. There was no OS 2.03 for other models.

Postby TeamFX » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:52 pm

The main IC is different, the memory is on a different location, there board number is different and the revision was different too.

That means your Graph 75 is an SH-3 model. Newer Graph models use the same PCB as the fx-9860GIIs.

Postby CasMo » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:51 am

O.k. thanks for giving more insight and explaining a few things to me. There is nothing much at all to find about that (s) model.
If I understand this correctly now, that there is a specific boot code on the calculator, that tells the OS update what processor and what calculator it is and there are other versions (Graph 75, etc.) with the same main board of the GIIs. If that is the case, it should be possible to "upgrade" the calculator like the 9750 to a 9860, if the mainboards are indeed the same? Or am I wrong again with that assumption as Casio may have fixed the OS?

Postby TeamFX » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:18 pm

If you trick the setup into accepting a modified OS, then you can upgrade your model.

Postby CasMo » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:26 pm

Yeah... question is how and what do I have to do in order to get this done on this calculator? I am good with electronics, never have done anything like that to a calculator like that but I have done so to other devices. Always willing to learn how to do it! :mrgreen:

Postby TeamFX » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:16 pm

From https://www.facebook.com/CasioCalculatorSingapore/

Julian Chan: "What is the difference between the fx-9860GII and the fx-9860GIIs?"
Casio Calculator Singapore: "Hi Julian, the difference between these two models is that fx-9860GII is worldwide model, whereas fx-9860GIIS is a Singapore exclusive customized model approved by SEAB (Singapore Examinations Assessment Board) for local schools and especially examination use. Hope that clarifies, cheers!"

Next

Return to General