Register

Inverse of a Function

Discuss anything related to calculators. For specific help on certain games/programs check the Released Projects subforum.
Calculators: Casio fx-9860GII, Casio Classpad fx-CP400

Inverse of a Function

Postby PsySc0rpi0n » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:58 pm

Hello again.

I know I can plot te inverse of a function. But is it possible to analytically evaluate the expression of the inverse function of a given expression?

Calculators: Casio fx-9750GII, Casio fx-9750GII (SH4), Casio fx-9860GII, Casio fx-CG50

Re: Inverse of a Function

Postby lephe » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:29 am

You could just rotate the calculator 90°. Otherwise you're stuck with the serious problem that only few functions are invertible; an analytical inversion process seems out of the question. Even polynomials are mostly not injective, so you're definitely not going to get an expression by calling a built-in calculator functionality.

Calculators: Casio fx-9860GII, Casio Classpad fx-CP400

Re: Inverse of a Function

Postby PsySc0rpi0n » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:45 pm

Well, maybe if I describe the problem, it gets easier to understand.

I'm testing an electronic circuit and I'm registering some values I'm reading with the scope from that circuit. With those values, I plot a curve in a Spreadsheet. Then I ask the Spreadsheet program to give me the Trend Line expression using the Quadratic Law. After that I wanted to obtain the inverse function of the expression SpreadSheet gave me. I'm doing it by hand but if the calculator could give it to me, it was great!

Return to General