Register

Ellipse

Topics on released projects. Only the author of a program should start a topic on it.
Calculators: Casio Cfx Series, Casio fx-CG10

Ellipse

Postby nsg » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:41 pm

Using the new Eact Maker I created my first eactivity.
This is a reference of formulas realting elements of a conic section one to another.
http://www.casiopeia.net/forum/downloads.php?view=detail&df_id=96

The eActivity considers a, b (semiaxis), e (eccentricity), p (focal parameter), rα, rπ (max and min distance from the focus) and lists variaous relationship between them. Knowing any 2 elements it is possible to calculate other 4.

I plan to expand it into some kind of calculator that allows to actually plug in numbers for known elements and get the missing elements. I do not see how that can be made into an eAct, though.

Calculators: Casio Afx 1.0, Casio fx-9860GII SD, Casio Classpad 330, Casio fx-CG20, Casio Classpad fx-CP400

Re: Ellipse

Postby helder7 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:57 pm

You are using Geometry, a custom .g3p or other way to show the circles?

The catalog function is interesting allows to create an index/summary. I did not know it exist :)

ImageImage
SiO2 + CaCO3 ----------> CaSiO3 + CO2

Postby nsg » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:28 pm

I used a custom .g3p. I made a sketch in postcript, pixeledited and added labels in paint and then transfered to prizm. BTW, there is way too much empty space in that picture. I am thinking about what other useful information I can cram into it.
I considered drawing curves in BASIC using graph draw, probably that is what i will do for the calculator part, so it would not need a g3p file to run.

I did not know it exist

It is very useful feature. Eact viewer is pretty slow, so this is the only practical way of navigating through large files.
I hope you include support for it into Eact maker because eact maker kind of enables large eacts and you need catalog of bookmarks to navigate thorough large eacts.

Calculators: Casio fx-CG20

Postby gbl08ma » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:47 pm

I used to use the memos functionality a lot to store longs pieces of text, before I found about Notes strips. Now I use Notes for long texts and memos solely to navigate through files (you can open the memo list from outside of a file, on the eAct file browser).

Postby nsg » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:31 pm

gbl08ma,

could you please post (or pm) some of your eacts? I would like to know how other people use means provided by eact to represent knowledge. So far, I only have examples from Casio and they are ... specific. Looking for inspiration here.

Postby gbl08ma » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:15 am

My eActs are in Portuguese and I guess they are too specific too. The best eActs are the ones you make for you to understand... for me, it has always been hard to understand eActs done by someone else (because people either write in a clean and organized language, which takes a lot of time to read, or they write in a way they understand but I often don't).

Postby nsg » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:39 am

Being in Portuguese is not a problem -- i do not need or want to understand it. I just want to see examples of how information is presented, use of "run mode", what and if colors are used. Which special symbols you use to decorate the main text. You mentioned extensive use of notes. This sort of things.
I generally agree that eacts (or notes in general) done by someone is of very little use for someone else, but there can be some tricks and tips to learn.

Calculators: Casio Afx 1.0, Casio fx-9860GII SD, Casio Classpad 330, Casio fx-CG20, Casio Classpad fx-CP400

Postby helder7 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:04 pm

@nsg, I stopped using eActivities in the prizm because they are slow. I started using *.txt's with simon's noteview.

I do not have an equation editor (only a tool to handle accented characters), but I do a bit of ascii art. This takes time, but the final result is good.

ImageImage

With the multibyte character set, I can have exponents, square roots, etc ...

nsg wrote:It is very useful feature. Eact viewer is pretty slow, so this is the only practical way of navigating through large files.
I hope you include support for it into Eact maker because eact maker kind of enables large eacts and you need catalog of bookmarks to navigate thorough large eacts.

Now the Eact Maker support stripts. Bookmarks add bytes after the align bytes (like color functions), which makes it more difficult...
(Again like marker) there are more colors for catalog/bookmarks than available in the calculator editor.
SiO2 + CaCO3 ----------> CaSiO3 + CO2

Postby gbl08ma » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:44 pm

I still write eActs a lot (usually on fx-CG Manager) but I'm starting to use JPEG images to write more complicated formulas and equations. I can write them by hand and scan them, which is much easier and faster than doing ASCII art like I did with eActs (that's why WYSIWYG would be nice on the online editor).
Unfortunately my JPEG reader is still somewhat slow but it does well enough for images about two times the screen height and with the width of the screen.
I also scan images and tables from books, since for tables it's much easier than typing them on eAct and for images it's much easier to convert them to JPEG than to g3p.

Postby nsg » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:13 am

@helder7

I tried to do some ascii-art diagrams and it seems that noteview that I have removes extra (or definitely does something to) spaces. As a result, what was nice table on a pc text editor, looks all misaligned on prizm in noteview.
I have version 1.03, which version are you using?

Next

Return to Released Projects