Register

fx-9860GII Power Graphic 2 display issue

Discuss anything related to calculators. For specific help on certain games/programs check the Released Projects subforum.
Calculators: Casio fx-9750GII, Casio fx-9750GII (SH4), Casio fx-9860GII

fx-9860GII Power Graphic 2 display issue

Postby sperretta » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:15 pm

Hi all,

I've been looking at a broken fx-9860GII Power Graphic 2 - the screen does not display anything at all, but everything else seems to be working OK (connecting via USB/3-pin, transferring files, turning backlight on/off).

I originally thought this may be a display issue (loose connection?), but after putting the calculator into projector mode and looking at the output on the PC (both with CASIO FA-124 and Cakeisalie5's p7screen utility), the image is corrupted and does not change when keys are pressed, etc.

Does this suggest that the issue may be with a different part of the device, e.g. (V)RAM?

The calculator originally came with OS version 02.02 which I upgraded to 02.04 with CASIO's utility - nothing was displayed during this either.

Cheers,
Simon P

Calculators: Casio fx-9750GII, Casio fx-9750GII (SH4), Casio fx-9860GII, Casio fx-CG50

Re: fx-9860GII Power Graphic 2 display issue

Postby lephe » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:55 pm

What I can tell, at least, is that this kind of screen pattern appears when the calculator crashes. There's another one with a single horizontal line, and they tend to show a split second before the processor reboots; for instance when an add-in does something very illegal.

So my guess is that the connection with p7screen is lost immediately because of a crash, which explains why pressing the keys does not change anything. Although it's not impossible that the calculator successfully reboots to the main menu and starts doing things while the connection is lost.

You could test that hypothesis by waiting ~10 seconds after this pattern appears on your computer's screen, then trying to navigate to the LINK app (by pressing E for instance) and start any kind of serial communication.

Calculators: Casio fx-7400GII, Casio fx-7400GII (SH4), Casio fx-9750GII, Casio fx-9750GII (SH4), Casio fx-9860G, Casio fx-9860G SD, Casio fx-9860G Slim, Casio fx-9860GII SD, Casio fx-9860GII SD Power Graphic 2, Casio Classpad 330 plus, Casio fx-CG20, Casio fx-CG50, Casio Classpad fx-CP400

Postby SimonLothar » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:12 pm

Perhaps you could try to trigger the bootcode OS update by simultaneously holding down F2, 4 and Ac/ON and pressing the RESTART-button about one second (the calc should show a blank display after releasing the keys) and finally pressing 9 and x consecutively (hold down 9 and x about a second each). The sequence is a bit tricky, so give it more than one chance.

If your problem is based on some OS corruption, the display should show some readable OS update message. If the bootcode OS updater does not show up even after several tries, there seems to be some hardware failure.
I'll be back!

Calculators: Casio fx-9750GII, Casio fx-9750GII (SH4), Casio fx-9860GII

Postby sperretta » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:36 am

Thanks for the suggestions - I continued to have a play with it but even triggering the bootloader didn't result in anything being displayed. Since it seems to be a hardware issue beyond what I'm capable of fixing I've sent it off to CASIO.

Cheers again for the help!

Return to General