Register

Use of empty space in Prizm

Discuss issues related to Calculator Hacking/Modding.
Calculators: Casio Cfx Series, Casio fx-CG10

Use of empty space in Prizm

Postby nsg » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:30 am

Prizm battery compartment has 2 really huge empty spaces on the left and right of a battery box.
I tried to fit 1" long mini USB cable there, but, sadly, it is just a little bit too wide to fit into any of them.
So, for now I cut 1/2" strip off of an old credit card and placed it there. I use this strip to pry out batteries.
It is ideal battery removal tool. Nonconductive, non-scratchy.

Calculators: Casio fx-CG20

Re: Use of empty space in Prizm

Postby gbl08ma » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:28 pm

It really looks like an huge space but it's not. I already looked into fitting there some kind of memory capacity expansion thing which would communicate through the 3-pin port. That space seems huge but nothing really useful fits in it - except your battery removal tool :) (I think fingernails are enough...)

Calculators: Casio Cfx Series, Casio fx-CG10

Postby nsg » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:39 pm

Here is what i mean.
usb device on the left is a flash drive, it is there just show the fit. The usb connector fits in the top part of the compartment just right. Unfortunately, premade cables have some fat plastic cases around the connector. But i believe that with bare connector, and some ribbon cable i can make a cable that will fit there.
(and on the right you can see my battery removal tool. I envy the toughness and length of your nails)

Calculators: Casio Afx 1.0, Casio fx-9860GII SD, Casio Classpad 330, Casio fx-CG20, Casio Classpad fx-CP400

Postby helder7 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:29 pm

I tested connecting a lamp to a battery AAA and it lit:
We can use this space to have "Neons" on calculator (tuning) :D perhaps with colored LEDs and a switch (to save battery).

About the usb cable, will be difficult (but not impossible) put in this space.
I have a small cable USB <-> MicroUSB. It does not fit in space but if I cut the plastic on the left and right (2mm + 2mm), it possibly will fit. However I do not need.
SiO2 + CaCO3 ----------> CaSiO3 + CO2

Calculators: None

Postby Casimo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:21 pm

Awesome!
I want a prizm.

Postby cfxm » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:39 pm

[removed]
Last edited by cfxm on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Casimo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:48 am

No, I want a small calc with neons :D

Calculators: Casio fx-9860G SD, Casio fx-CG20

Postby Arkhs » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:03 am

Hi!
I'm thinking about trying to put an external SD card reader in my Prizm. I found the board MMC Project.
The problem is it needs an information input with the HIGH 3,3V and the calc only sends 2,8V. and the output of the MMC is also 3,3V and sure the calc needs only 2,8V.

Any tips?

Calculators: Casio fx-7400GII, Casio fx-7400GII (SH4), Casio fx-9750GII, Casio fx-9750GII (SH4), Casio fx-9860G, Casio fx-9860G SD, Casio fx-9860G Slim, Casio fx-9860GII SD, Casio fx-9860GII SD Power Graphic 2, Casio Classpad 330 plus, Casio fx-CG20, Casio fx-CG50, Casio Classpad fx-CP400

Postby SimonLothar » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:06 am

Arkhs wrote:I'm thinking about trying to put an external SD card reader in my Prizm. I found the board MMC Project.
The problem is it needs an information input with the HIGH 3,3V and the calc only sends 2,8V. and the output of the MMC is also 3,3V and sure the calc needs only 2,8V.

Any tips?

Do you want to use a MMC-board with the serial interface? (in this case you would need a serial adapter cable to convert the calc's serial TTL-signal to RS232). That would be a bit bulky.
Or do you want to bypass the MAX233 and connect the calculators serial lines directly to the PIC?
Or do you mean that there might be a problem with the MMC-board-power supply?
I'll be back!

Calculators: Casio fx-9860G SD, Casio fx-CG20

Postby Arkhs » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:08 pm

I was thinking about removing the db9 connector and soldering a 3pin female (connected to Rx, Tx and Gnd).

A person has done something similar to this idea for older casio calculators. (demo1 and demo2).

I want copy and backup content in school, without using a computer. I'm afraid to spend money on this board and it does not work, because it needs 3,3V (and it is also very large).

Perfect would be get a board that fits inside the calculator and expand the original 16 mb.

Anyway yesterday I had an idea after seeing a video on youtube. Some android phones have the USB OTG feature (some bring it natively disabled). I do not know if mine has or not but I'll try to find out. Maybe I'll have to put a Cyanogenmod and purchase a special cable.

Next

Return to Calculator Hacking/Modding Discussions