Register

[PRIZM] Open Jazz Jackrabbit Port

Topics on released projects. Only the author of a program should start a topic on it.
Calculators: Casio fx-CG10, Casio fx-CG50

[PRIZM] Open Jazz Jackrabbit Port

Postby ProgrammerNerd » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:55 am

I have ported open Jazz jackrabbit to the casio prizm. Binary is available here and source code can be found on GitHub

I have released a new version that address some graphical issues on the HUD and fixes the fact that it is impossible to exit the game. The reason it is fixed is because instead of using a fixed Save/load vram address which may only be correct on a certian firmware version it instead searches for it.
Here are the controls
Controls: Show
Code: Select all
   keys[C_UP].key        = KEY_PRGM_UP;
   keys[C_DOWN].key    = KEY_PRGM_DOWN;
   keys[C_LEFT].key           = KEY_PRGM_LEFT;
   keys[C_RIGHT].key   = KEY_PRGM_RIGHT;
   keys[C_JUMP].key   = KEY_PRGM_ALPHA;
   keys[C_SWIM].key   = keys[C_JUMP].key;
   keys[C_FIRE].key           = KEY_PRGM_SHIFT;
   keys[C_CHANGE].key   = KEY_PRGM_OPTN;    //change weapon
   keys[C_ENTER].key      = KEY_PRGM_RETURN;
   keys[C_ESCAPE].key   = KEY_PRGM_EXIT;
   keys[C_STATS].key   = KEY_PRGM_F1;
   keys[C_PAUSE].key   = KEY_PRGM_F2;
   keys[C_YES].key      = KEY_PRGM_F3;
   keys[C_NO].key      = KEY_PRGM_F4;

To use the program place openjazz.g3a in the root directory then create a folder called jazz place openjazz.000 in that folder then download one of the many versions of jazz jackrabbit and place the resource files in that folder. You do not need the sound files and you do not need the "extra" files for example the cd version includes a demo of another game you don't need that you also don't need the *.exe file also there are some unneeded cutscene files that take up lots of memory those are not needed when in doubt use grep on the source code to see if the file is needed.
Screenshots: Show
Image Image
Last edited by ProgrammerNerd on Sun May 25, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Calculators: Casio fx-9860G SD, Casio fx-CG20

Re: Open Jazz jackrabbit Casio prizm port

Postby Arkhs » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:26 pm

Finally found the resource files :D ... I have this game on the wii, but having it on a calculator is another charm.

Postby ProgrammerNerd » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:44 pm

Alright I made a new release there are some slight changes but the main one is the fonts now show up
http://www.mediafire.com/download/yi86s ... zCasio.zip

Postby ProgrammerNerd » Sun May 25, 2014 2:29 am

Sorry for the double post but I have released a new version. I edited my post to explain the changes. It is highly recommended that you upgrade as this version as the old version may write to ram locations used by the OS. This version should not have that issue.

Calculators: Casio fx-CG20

Re: [PRIZM] Open Jazz Jackrabbit Port

Postby Nemhardy » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:39 am

Is the program working properly since you use a search function for the save_vram adress ? No error nor reboot / exit problemes ?

Postby ProgrammerNerd » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:36 pm

Yes it is. Also I applied the same fix to my MPEG2 player which also used this area of ram.

Calculators: Casio fx-CG20

Postby Nemhardy » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:00 pm

Okay, thank you ;).

Postby ProgrammerNerd » Sat May 01, 2021 1:03 am

I've release a new update that I would consider urgent because it fixes invalid memory access and a file handle leak. You can download it from here: https://github.com/ComputerNerd/Open-Ja ... penjazz.7z or from the Downloads section of the site which has also been updated. Be sure to use the download section if you want a zip file instead of a 7z.

If you accidentally leave a file open on the Prizm it's really bad because you have to reset your calculator or put it in USB Mass Storage Mode to resolve the issue.

From the Casio Prizm wiki (https://prizm.cemetech.net/index.php?ti ... penFile_OS) it says:
but strange behavior (most likely a OS bug) occurs if files other than the one in the first handle slot are located in directories (other than the root).

The strange behavior part is concerning. Although nothing bad has happened to my calculator I don't want anything bad to happen to yours. That's why I strongly urge you to update to the latest version.

I know that the G3A file is hosted elsewhere. If you are hosting this game I ask that you make this update available on your website as well so that people don't accidentally download the old version. I understand if you have a version history that's fine. I just mean that this should be an option.

Return to Released Projects